Ingredients for 6 servings:
- 6 veal scallops, 150g (5oz) each,
- 6 slices of ham,
- 300 g (10oz) Bleu de Gex cheese,
- 500 g (1 lb) mushrooms,
- Salt, pepper, nutmeg
- For the white sauce (Béchamel):
40 cl (13 fl oz) milk, 20 g (1oz) butter, 30 g (1oz) flour
1. To make the béchamel sauce: melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, add the flour and cook until just golden (around 2 minutes), turning. Pour in the cold milk gradually, stirring vigourously until smooth, and cook 10 minutes, stirring the preparation. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
2. In a skillet, sear the veal scallops in butter over high heat, add salt and pepper, and transfer them to a buttered gratin dish.
3. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms.
4. On each cutlet, place a spoonful of béchamel, a slice of ham, some mushrooms and finally the slices of Bleu de Gex cheese.
5. Bake at 180°C (300°F) for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
6. Serve with green beans and steamed potatoes.
Wine Pairing Tips:
This dish needs a fresh white which will cut through the richness of the melted cheese. While displaying this freshness, a Jura Savagnin will also offer a bit of character to hold up to this hearty local dish.