Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 2 trout (about 12 ounces each), cleaned
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 15 cl (2/3 cup) Vin Jaune (Yellow Wine)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 shallots, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
1. Rinse the trout and pat dry. Pour the flour into a flat dish, dredge the fish and shake off the excess.
2. Melt half the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the trout, and cook for 6-7 minutes on each side.
3. Transfer the fish to a dish and keep warm in the oven.
4. Add the remaining butter in the same pan and saute the shallots for 5 minutes over low heat, then deglaze with the yellow wine. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Let reduce for 5 minutes then thicken the sauce by adding the cream to get a smooth sauce. Reduce for few more minutes. Season to taste.
6.Remove the trout from the oven and arrange them on warm plates. Pour the sauce over and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Serve with steamed potatoes.
Wine Pairing Tips:
As a general rule, one should serve a wine which is featured in a recipe to accompany the dish. This is particularly true with Vin Jaune, whose strong character clearly expresses itself in this dish. Château-Chalon is the obvious choice, but an Arbois "Jaune" or even a simple Savagnin made in the traditional style will also work wonders with this typical dish of the Jura gastronomy.